Monday, September 5, 2011

Barclays Fantasy Football - My Team

I recently got asked in a comment to tell you my team for this seasons Barclays fantasy football. So here it comes, this is my team for Fantasy Premier League.

My goalkeepers are Given for Aston Villa and Al-Habsi from Wigan. I've never really believed  in using too much money in goalkeepers in fantasy football, and that hasn't changed this season. You can get good playing goalies for £5M or under. Given is a great player in a good team and Al Habsi also. I also like to rotate my playing goalkeeper according to English Premier League fixtures.

My defense consists of solids defenders from winning teams. Kompany from Manchester City, Bosingwa from Chelsea and Huth from Stoke were my original choices. Wolves' Ward and Newcastle's Steven Taylor have been transferred in. When choosing defenders it's wise to consider defenders who also like to play offence. Such examples are Huth and Bosingwa who don't shy away from scoring from time to time.

My midfield in Barclays fantasy football is split in two very expensive players and three so called bargains. Manchester City's David Silva is what I'd call my playmaker. I used to have Malouda from Chelsea is my second midfielder in command, but he was transferred out as ManU's Ashley Young took his place. Out of my "bargains" this year, only Jarvis from Wolverhampton has performed as I had hoped. WBA's Brunt has been playing well but hasn't really scored too many points. Blackburn's Formica scored a goal in the first gameweek, but missed a penalty last week so the jury's still out on that one.

This season of Premier League fantasy football my team is extremely front heavy. I usually don't go for two expensive forwards, but somehow I felt I didn't have a choice this year. Dzeko has been in my team from day one, and his 6 goals from last 3 games have made me really happy. Two new forwards are Wayne Rooney from Manchester United, who its seems is the player you can't do without this season, and Shane Long from West Bromwich Albion. Long scored a goal in first two matches and has been in good form. Equally priced there is also Bolton's Klasnic, and I've been thinking that he might be my new third forward if Long's injury is more serious than expected.

Hopefully this is the team that will win my office league and the English Premier League tickets and hotel that go with it :)

10 comments:

Gummi said...

Thanks for the team review. How do you feel about Nasri vs. Silva after Nasri's arrival? I'm thinking that Nasri will possibly reduce Silva's attacking potential.

Janne Tuikka said...

Nasri played beautifully in the last game, there's no arguing that. However I think it's still too early to say whether he will effect Silva's play. And if so, will that effect be positive or negative.

Gummi said...

True. I have both on my team at the moment, ready to sell either one if the other will shoulder most of the attacking responsibility.

My guess is that Silva will probably drop a little off and Nasri will be the Fantasy elite option.

Janne Tuikka said...

We'll just have to wait and see. :)

At the moment my bet in still on Silva though...

Gummi said...

Good bet. :)

I'm happy I didn't sell him. Another two assists.

Anonymous said...

eddie here hi i have 2 free transfers my team given kompany jones cahill dunne gutheriz young adam toure rooney suarez should i loose 4pts to get in silva and aguero and someone else and take out toure surez adam or will i just use my 2 free without loosing 4 if so weho will i get in

Janne Tuikka said...

Hi Eddie!

Short answer, yes you should. Especially Toure has been given such a defensive role in current City lineup that he's not such a good pick this season. Suarez hasn't been as good as many had hoped as he is in over 40% of the teams, so for that alone I think you should go with Aguero or Dzeko. Third one could be Boltons Klasnic, maybe?

Anonymous said...

Hi I wanted to know which are the weak points in my team. I got 68pts gameweek 6 but its been downhill since then. Heres my team: vorm, bosingwa, ward, s.taylor, r.taylor, dyer, nani, ramires, bale, aguero, suarez. And subs are agbonlahor, huth, de gea,

Janne Tuikka said...

I like your defense, bosingwa and both taylors are very good picks. Midfield is also ok, I suppose one Silva couldn't hurt, though. And the strikers... well Agbonlahor is a great pick, you could probably do with Rooney too...

Overall though, not a bad team at all...

Anonymous said...

Started a bit late but I think I'll do alright

De Gea, Jose Enrique, Taylor R, Young, Richards, Park, Silva, Cabaye, Ba, Hernandez, Aguero
Bench: Schwarzer, Diame, Delap, Luiz